When you went into business you had certain things you envisioned happening. What your business would be, what it would encompass, how you would work your business, and what you wanted your business hours to be. This would be how you would work your business.
Maybe you wanted to only work 25-30 hours a week. Maybe you wanted to just work week days…no nights and no weekends or maybe you would work on weekends because you were still at a job.
Whatever you outlined, THIS was the way you wanted your business to go.
Enter the real world:
Do you find you are not working the way you wanted and it’s gotten out of hand? Maybe now instead of 25-30 hours it’s 40 – 50 hour weeks or even more! Or maybe now you find yourself working nights and weekends. There never seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel.
In fact, it’s not going like you thought and truth be known, you don’t like how it’ s going. This wasn’t anything you had in mind for working your own business.
You have found that instead of you working your business, your business is working you!
So what can you do to turn that around?
Before I answer that question, let me ask you something:
- When you go to the grocery store, if it’s not a 24 hour grocery, you have to go in at the hours they are “open”. Now you can go when they are closed…but you aren’t going to get in the door or do any business. So you make arrangements to go when they are “open”.
- When you go to the doctor, yes you most likely have an appointment and you need to be there at that time, but….when you made that appointment there were specific times of the day that they were open for appointments to be given. that appointment time is within their hours of operation. Go after hours and you won’t be seen. So you make arrangements to go when they are “open”
- How about going to a restaurant to eat? You have to be there within the hours they are open. Again, you can go after hours, but you aren’t going to be seen and you aren’t going to eat. So…you make arrangements to go when they are “open”.
Are you getting my message here? These businesses and most all businesses unless they are 24 hour businesses have specific hours you have to work within.
So what can you do to turn this around? You create the specific hours YOU want to work. The people who want to talk with you or work with you will arrange their schedule to work within the hours that you have specified.
For those you are already working with, you will need to do one of two things. Send out an announcement to everyone stating there are changes coming and detail what they are.
- In renewing their time with you they will need to choose a convenient time for working together.
- Some of your existing clients will be open to moving to a new date/time within your new hours of operations.
Possibly offer an incentive, maybe an extra session, to go ahead and change their times now. The sooner you have everyone on board for the new times, the sooner you will begin having more flexibility with your business.
If your business is the kind of business you have to work nights or weekends and you want to work nights or you want to work weekends or both….that’s fine as long as there are other days or times you aren’t available so there is a balance.
The point is: Don’t let your prospects and clients dictate when you are going to work. This is your business and you run the show. You say what is and what isn’t.
Just with all the businesses mentioned above…you had to go within their hours of operation, if you wanted to do business with them.
The same will apply to your business. You have your hours of operation and they can choose a convenient time within those hours. This will also help weed out those possible clients you don’t want to work with, because you are working your business and not letting them work you!
If you would like to see how you can apply this to your business, I’d love to invite you to schedule a FREE Discovery Strategy Call. Just click the link and follow the prompts. It really is that simple!
- What I Know -VS- What I THINK Other People Know - November 4, 2019
- Top 3 Benefits You Can Provide - October 21, 2019
- Making Client Attraction A Priority - August 9, 2019
- Marketing Tip: VISIBILITY – Create A Solid Foundation - July 24, 2019
- Marketing Tip for More Visibility: Four Tendencies Quiz - July 9, 2019
- Are You Using These Resources Free or Paid to Save You Time? - June 21, 2019
- Want More Visibility? Think TRAIN - June 13, 2019
- Did You Know: Marketing is a Lot Like Fishing - June 7, 2019
- Online Marketing and Social Media’s Key Element - May 3, 2019
- Are You Working Your Business Or Is Your Business Working You? - April 8, 2019