Decisions, decisions, decisions! We have choices to make and base on our thoughts and reasoning, we make our decisions….daily.
But there is another way we make our decisions:
For a business owner, one of the biggest mistakes we make is making the decision FOR our prospect and clients and often we base those decisions on what we THINK we know about our prospect/ideal client and what WE think they can afford at that time.
What did we do? We just made a decision that was not ours to make which was a big disservice to our prospect/ideal client.
Let me share an example with you:
During my 30+ years in dentistry as the Office Manager and Financial Coordinator I saw so many dentists literally make the decision for their patients in their presentations for treatment and they (the dentist) did this with the best of intentions for their patients.
What would they do? Instead of giving the patient ALL treatment options, including the more costly ones, the dentist would look at the patient, then think they (the doctor) knew what they (the patient) could afford or would want to do, and give them that option for treatment.
In other words, the dentist made the decision FOR the patient instead of presenting ALL options and letting the patient choose. (Note: These were ALL needed treatment options and were good treatment options. But some better than others)
By that same token, I’ve worked for and seen dentists who would present ALL treatment options to the patient for the patient to choose ….regardless of what the dentist thought their finances looked like…and allowed the patient to choose.
Guess what…. MOST of the time the patients chose the higher priced treatment options, because the PATIENT listened to the dentist give ALL the options for treatment and then the PATIENT make their decision based on knowing ALL the facts.
As business owners…coaches, consultants, speakers, small business owners, etc… don’t we do the same thing? Many times, in our presentations and closings, we think… “Well, they won’t choose this package or that program….because it’s too much, so I’ll downgrade the price” OR “I’ll offer them something less expensive.”
What have we done? We have made the decision FOR the prospective client. That offer we didn’t present could have been exactly what that person needed and was looking for (and would have paid for) and instead we have offered them something of lesser value that prospect may or may not have needed or been looking for.
Either way…We LOST and (worse) did a disservice to our prospect.
• If that is what you offered and the prospect chooses to go with the lesser program and work with you, the prospect still isn’t getting what he/she fully wants.
• They may not choose to work with you because they WANT the higher end product you didn’t present to them and the prospect will sign with the person who does offer it.
After listening to your prospect: Always Always Always, present ALL service options, including your very best, to your prospects based on what you are hearing they need.…. NEVER let price be YOUR determining factor in what you offer your prospects….let it be your prospects choice…their decision, after hearing ALL their options.
You can always offer something of a lesser option if they voice that’s what they need. But after hearing what you present to them (starting with the best per their needs), always let it be your prospects decision what program, product, or service they need from you…not yours.
Start paying attention to how you are presenting to your prospects or ideal clients when it comes time to offer them the option to work with you.
Check to see if you are making the mistake of making the decision FOR your client as to what you think they would be willing to pay to work with you.
Then if you are, determine how you will change your presentation for what your prospect needs and let your prospects make the decision.
If you’d like to talk about your business or looking for some help, I’d like to invite you to schedule a Complimentary Strategy Call now. Many times after out talk, you’ll receive a strategy you can implement immediately after getting off the phone! That’ a Win-Win, so Let’s talk!!
- Are You Working Your Business Or Is Your Business Working You? - April 8, 2019
- Business Building Advice - April 5, 2019
- Decisions! Who’s Making The Decision For Your Services? - April 4, 2019
- What Does A Snake And Your Comfort Zone Have In Common - April 3, 2019
- Are You Using The Right Mindset? - March 1, 2019
- Marketing vs Advertising: Do You Know the Difference? - February 6, 2019
- 2019 New Year – New Opportunities - January 10, 2019
- Are You Getting Creative For Getting Clients - October 23, 2018
- Are You Over Complicating Your Business - September 27, 2018
- What Does A Hurricane And Your Business Have In Common - September 18, 2018